Dipping a circuit board in conformal coating can be a challenge.
Not only can the process be tricky but if the board design is incompatible then the cost of the process can be high.
Nexus, the independent conformal coating website, have drawn up a set of design rules and guidelines for conformal coating dipping that may be useful to the designers.
They suggest the following design guidelines
- Design the board so the masking components are at one end
- Design to hold the board correctly
- Design the fixture correctly to avoid coating contamination
- Match the coating material to the dip process
- Design the board to drain to a corner
- Avoid using components that can hold conformal coating
- Use the correct components
Click to find out more about conformal coating design rules for dipping.